Home Town or Home Community:
1937 – Our story began when T.R. Luke decided to represent independent insurance companies like Gore Mutual and Dominion of Canada Insurance Co. Ltd., rather than the more “closed shop”, board or group companies. Thus Independent Agencies was born as a competitive, independent company.
1951 – R.W. Lario and M.G. (Morley) Lockhart purchased Independent Agencies.
1955 – Morley Lockhart became sole owner as R. W. Lario moved to British Columbia.
1969 – Reg Coles and Jim Caudle purchased Independent Agencies from Mr. Lockhart.
1970 – Independent Agencies purchased the Cowan, Horn and Hukins Agency, owned by Antoinette Sotski (nee Draftenza). This agency was originated by William Cowan, and R.M. secretary.
1975 – Independent Agencies purchased Wawanesa Agencies in Yorkton from Mel Keeble.
1977 – Gerald Grunert joined us to service farm clients and to co-ordinate the crop-hail business purchased from Alfred Fenske of Springside.
1979 – On June 1, Independent Agencies acquired Harry Calanchie Agencies in Wroxton.
1980 – We purchased the Nick Prokopetz Agencies in Calder. In September, Independent Agencies obtained the Block Bros. National Real Estate Service for Yorkton and area.
1982 – In April, Independent Agencies purchased the crop hail insurance business of John Thompson of Theodore and in May we opened a branch office in Theodore through J.J. Hart Agency.
1986 – We acquired the Mansel Powell Agency in Ebenezer.
1986 – On June 30, Tom Dutton and Reg Coles became partners and sole owners as they purchased Jim Caudle’s shares in Independent Agencies.
1999 – Independent Agencies became part of the WFG (Western Financial Group) family which has carried us forward to the present.
We are proud to serve the community of Yorkton and hope to do so for many years to come.