Home Town or Home Community:
This shrine, built in 1921 under the auspices of the Redemptorist, Rev. Noel Decamp, is located on the grounds of the Ukrainian Redemptorist Monastery northeast of St. Mary’s church. The grotto was constructed of fieldstone and blessed on June 3, 1921.
The original statues of Mary and Bernadette have been replaced by statues of a more durable material which is able to withstand the ravages of weather and other destructive forces.
The shrine is located very close to a side street but is almost invisible hidden by tall trees and well-trimmed caragana shrubs.
The Redemptorist Fathers, and students from St. Joseph’s College and from Sacred Heart Academy frequented the shrine in the past decades as did the Sister Servants of Mary Immaculate until they obtained their own shrine in 1958.
Dr. Joseph Lozinsky and Heather A. Kolla, ” Mary as Mother” (St Peter’s Press,June, 1987, revised July, 1987)